DWI Attorney for The Bronx
Protecting Your Rights & Fighting for Your Driving Privileges
If you have been arrested for DWI, put our experienced DWI lawyers to work for you. As members of the National College of DWI Defense, our attorneys at Lebedin Kofman LLP can fight for you in pursuit of favorable results. Drunk-driving cases are complex and require focused knowledge. We continually sharpen our DWI defense skills so we can bring that knowledge to your case.
DWI vs. DUI
Depending on where you have lived in the U.S., you may be familiar with different terms regarding alcohol and drugs while operating a vehicle.
Some of the most common drunk while driving terms are:
- DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
- DWI (Driving While Impaired)
- OWI (Operating While Intoxicated)
- OUI (Operating While Under the Influence)
While these terms are often used interchangeably, some states have specific legal definitions for each acronym.
In New York, we only have one legal term for driving intoxicated: DWI. DWI refers to your BAC, or blood alcohol concentration.
- Those 21 years old or older, with a BAC level of 0.08 percent to 0.17 percent, are deemed legally drunk.
- A commercial driver is considered drunk beginning at 0.04 percent.
- For those under the age of 21, the BAC for drunk driving is between 0.02 percent and 0.07 percent.
Jailtime, loss of license, and fines are all possible. Those charged with DWI face the following penalties:
- First offense: fines from $500 to $1,000; jailtime from six months to one year; driver’s license revoked for at least six months
- Second offense: Considered a felony if second offense is within 10 years of the first; fines of $1,000 to $5,0000; a jail term of at least four years; driver’s license revoked for at least one year
- Third offense: Classified as a felony; fines of $2,000 to $10,000; a jail term of at least seven years; driver’s license revoked for at least one year
Other penalties can include the following:
- Installation of an ignition interlock device for breath monitoring on vehicles you operate
- Vehicle forfeiture
- Court-ordered counseling
- Increased auto insurance
You can rely on our Bronx DWI lawyers to provide you with the effective and dedicated representation you deserve, from arraignment to trial, if necessary.
The personal and financial costs of DWI in The Bronx are too steep to leave to an inexperienced attorney. With our extensive knowledge of DWI law and legal proceedings, we will investigate every aspect of your case.
Contact Lebedin Kofman LLP online or by calling (646) 663-4430 for your free consultation.
DWI Video FAQs
Leave your TRUST and CONFIDENCE to them, 100% their expertise gave results done what's the best for you.- --E.C.
He was able to dismiss my case and save tons of money on future fines- G
This law firm is extremely professional and knowledgeable.- Jack
They worked, fought and won my case.- Bernadette
He got the case completely dismissed.- Gwendolyn